On healthy eating.

Saturday, 27 July 2013


How do you find the right mix between eating things that are good for you and make you feel good and becoming a Hippie or even worse loosing the fun in eating, because you're obsessing over it so much? I'm really kind of struggling to find the right balance.

Sometimes I wish I'd never started to think about healthy eating, obviously rationally it was a very good thing to do, but I don't like how it makes it a lot harder to enjoy the occasional pizza or the occasional sugar-syrup filled chai latte, when I really at least want to really enjoy them, when I choose to. It's like the more you learn and read about nutrition, the more difficult it seems to get it right. Like they said on the joe rogan podcast, pizza used to be a treat, now it's sweet potato chips, where is this all going?
But, it's not just that I worry more about putting bad things into my body, it's also that since starting to eat healthier, my body has started to resent shitty food. I never used to understand people, who would feel like vegetables after living of fast food for a couple of days, I could have lived of pizza! And now? I don't feel so good after eating it anymore, and once I even got stomach cramps after drinking diet coke again. Of course I don't know if it might just be hypochondria (to be honest, a rather large proportion of it almost definitely is), but I'm not enjoying it!
I like it both. I love healthy food, but I also love pizza, pasta, icecream and chocolate, sometimes even all in one day, crazy right?

But even if you choose healthy food all the time, there are so many controversies about what is healthy. There's even something about kale not actually being all that good for you because of oxalic acid, and eating too much fruit is also bad, because of all the sugar? This makes me sad! Isn't eating fruit still better than eating crisps? 

I guess what I believe in is listening to your body, or if you've come of the right (what even is this?) track, to gently guide your body towards craving things that are good for it again, by getting it used to supposedly healthy things. I really like healthy food now, I crave it, I enjoy preparing it, and I've decided to start compiling a list of recipes for food that is full of good things, but doesn't feel like it (if that makes sense? I could for example never get my head round just lettuce without at least a delicious dressing. Nori Rolls filled with delicious goodness however? I'M ON BOARD).

I also believe in moderation (and even that in moderation, as they say). Pizza makes me happy. It's a fact. I love getting a dominos, probably way too much, and I never want to fully give this up! I try not to have it more than like 2-3 times a month, but I figured that if it makes me happy, it's somewhat ok. I can eat all the kale (or not?!?!) and coconut oil in the world the next day to get back on track.

I believe in listening questioning why you're about to eat something? Whether its because of something your body actually needs, boredom or emotional emptiness? By this I don't mean that emotional emptiness can't be a reason to eat, but I try to question whether it would actually help me to make me feel better to have that chocolate bar or whether that bag of crisps would actually just make me feel more miserable and fatty. 

What I don't believe in are diets and calorie counting. 

For this one, I would genuinely really love to hear your opinions (I always do, but I know that my posts are normally not that discussion friendly). How do you make sure your food keeps you healthy without giving up things that you love? How do you manage to find the right balance, or do you think that you should give up unhealthy things completely? 

2 comments:

  1. I used to try and have 6 healthy days in a week, and then one day a week (which was usually a Saturday) where I could eat whatever I wanted. But that didn't really work for me, because going days without satisfying any of my cravings drove me mad. It was all I could think about, and I think in general (which is the problem with calorie counting and diets) I think it's horrible to be so negatively focused on food. Now I usually have one or two treats a day. For example, if I know I'm going for pizza with a friend in the evening, I'll have a salad for lunch and try to snack on fruit instead of sweets and things! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I mean, I want to find a good balance, without being negatively focused on food, because I love food, it's one of the things I'm really passionate about and I don't want to loose that... I think it's a good idea to be balanced most days rather than being good on a set amount of days (for me too at least I think), because otherwise the cravings just ruin everything...

      Delete