More Granola than Bars: My most recent attempt to come up with a great granola bar recipe

Wednesday, 21 August 2013

This my friends wasn't supposed to be Granola, it was supposed to be thick, chewy Granola bars à la smitten kitchen. Wasn't. And do you want to know why? Because I thought I could be clever, and cut the sugar content even further by using dates (that are very sticky and naturally sweet). But, as you can see, that didn't work. Don't get me wrong, it was absolutely delicious, but it falls apart very very easily (even though I like put my whole body weight onto it when I pressed it into the baking tin before baking!). This is my 4th attempt or so, I'm not sure I'll ever get the consistency right without upping the sugar content, but the taste was absolutely spot on, so there shall be many more experiments with the same ingredients (I used dates, pumpkin seeds, desiccated coconut and wholewheat flour for a bit of a change, along with oats, honey and coconut oil as before). If I ever get to an actual bar, I'll make sure I'll share the recipe with you. If you've got one that isn't full of sugar/sugar replacement, please share it with me, I really feel like I need a good Granola bar recipe in my life. I'm quite far away from being a grandma (so got a bit of time to figure it out), but I'd like something like homemade Granola bars to be my thing, the thing that my grandchildren will associate with me, but as I said, I think I've got a couple of years to experiment ;). 

   





No comments:

Post a Comment