Having Trust that the Dots Will Connect

Monday, 16 June 2014

I sometimes wish that I could go back to uni. Not in the sense that I don't like what I'm doing right now, or that the grass is always greener on the other side, but in a way that I'm only realising now what an incredible privilege it is to have someone lay out a path for you, to take your hand and show you where to start, so you can then go on tangents and learn whatever you'd like and what you think is relevant on top. All we have to do in theory is to figure out where we'd like to end up. That's not easy, it's incredibly hard, and I still don't really know, how anyone is supposed to know what they'd like to do in life when they're only 16-18. I've finished uni now, I've got a 2:1 Bachelor of Science in International Business, which is good, but in a way I wish I had waited a couple of years to get a really good idea of where I'd like to go and then use everything, every book and article recommendation, every access to resources available that uni offers you to learn everything I can about the very thing I'd like to become. But then on the other side, I guess that's what being in your twenties is all about. It's about figuring things out, finding those starting points and figuring the path out yourself, even if it's hard.
And that's what I'm trying to do now. I try to read something smart every day and I try to remind myself (also usually on a daily basis) that even if all the dots in your life don't make sense at this very point in time, that like Steve Jobs said 'you can't connect them looking forward, you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future'.

I like this speech so much. I know you've probably seen it, but I can watch it again and again and never get bored of it, so I thought you might like to get reminded of it as well. I'm happy where I am at the moment, very happy, but sometimes it frightens me to not know exactly where I will be in 10 years, and this speech reminds me to just have trust that everything will be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment