Learning to Knit

Sunday, 13 July 2014

I had the bestest morning/afternoon yesterday! A couple of weeks ago, the wonderful Rosie from CiderwithRosie posted about having been to a Knitting Course (here) and immediately knew that I'd have to go too, and so I booked it and it finally happened on Saturday. 

It may not sound the most exciting, but it was just so much fun! Siobhan from BlessTheWeather runs these 3 hour introductory classes every couple of months, spaces are limited to 4 each time, so if you're interested, I'd book my place as soon as possible :) I can highly recommend it. 

The classes happen at Siobhan and her boyfriend's absolutely beautiful flat in Brixton (I had serious flat envy, Siobhan had to pretty much drag me out after the course finished), where they live with their adorable dog Elkie (again, so so jealous, I really need a dog in my life). Anyway, let's talk a little about the actual course before I drift of to praising her interior design skills again. Everyone knows that knitting is a very labourious process, so luckily Siobhan had thought ahead and made a delicious vegan lemon cake (that, or she anticipated me being too all over the place to figure that it'd be good to have breakfast, either way, the cake went down an absolute treat. So did the cup of tea, and the splendidly put together playlist in the background). 

You don't have to bring anything, you get a pair of needles (thick, beautiful ones) and a ball of yarn (I opted for very pretty mint green). I tried to teach myself many times before, but it never quite worked, and it was for the exact reason, Siobhan said she started doing these classes; it is so much easier to learn, when there's someone there, who knows how it works, who can not only show you how it works, but also help you out of any minor disaster you've knitted yourself into. She taught us how to cast on and off, how to knit and pearl and showed us how alternating between those two methods could create the coolest patterns. So that was cool, but what made this morning/afternoon even better was the lovely company. We had great conversations about seasonal food and sustainable clothes, keeping a dog in London, career shaping and working from home. I left feeling pretty inspired, both in terms of knitting (I can't wait to get started on a proper project, Siobhan has created the most beautiful pieces, and I'm hoping that after a lot (a lot!) of practice I can create something similarly cool) and in terms of just general life. I love spending time with interesting people, I always come out feeling very happy and ready to do something. 

I hope your weekend was similarly great. If you're even vaguely interested in taking up knitting, I can seriously recommend this course, and if not, you'll absolutely have to visit her blog: http://www.blesstheweather.com/ It's stunning (obviously), showcases her talent (she also freelances as a photographer) and just a pretty cool read; good weekend + cup of tea reading material.

Au revoir. 

No comments:

Post a Comment