On changing directions

Saturday, 9 May 2015

#vscocam ;)
When I finished uni, I didn't know what to do, what the next career move would be, so I rushed into the sort of job that I thought it should be. A big corporation job. A big corporation job, which definitely had its perks and was a great experience that in a way I wouldn't want to miss, but at the same time one, I would have known wasn't right for me if only I'd listened to my gut feeling (which was very present). But again, no regrets in the sense that it was still a very useful experience. But now that I do know what I'd like to do, I'd like to very much move into that direction, I want to spend all the time I can working towards getting good at it (and I'll tell you what 'it' is in just a moment). I'm genuinely so incredibly motivated to work on projects that I care about, to do absolutely everything I can to make them a success, because I like working hard, I like being busy and more than anything I like to work towards something I believe in/that I value.

As for the 'it'; I'd like to work in employee engagement. Throughout my career I always thought I wanted to work in Marketing; I like business and I like the psychology of behaviour, I am fascinated by creative and well-done marketing communications, and I just love to see it when everything comes together and marketing campaigns reach their target audience well. What I realised recently is that what I'd really like to be involved in in my day-to-day job is to help people enjoy their everyday at least a little bit more; and since a lot of people spend around 1/3 of their time at work, it seems so worthwhile to use my passion for business and psychology to help businesses make this happen, to help their employees find a connection to their work. To me, it's not all that different from Marketing, it's just that the focus is internal rather than external and the goal is slightly different, but it's still about creating loyalty and trust. I'd love to help businesses find ways to implement all these practices everyone knows can be good for morale and productivity, yet few organisations do, because of issues like trust.

If anyone has any tips for getting into employee engagement, please let me know and I'll be eternally grateful :) In the meantime, I shall be applying to jobs that sound like I can use that empathy of mine to make a difference to somebody's day.

Have a great day,

Johanna






No comments:

Post a Comment