A Handmade Christmas

Sunday, 25 October 2015

I read somewhere today that it's just 60 days to Christmas, how crazy is that? I know, I know, it's still pretty early to actually get festive, and I'm certainly not planning to (not yet!), but what I am planning to do is to handmake as many presents as I can this year - though hopefully not in a childish way. I don't know just how many I'll manage yet, but I was thinking of maybe attempting to linocut and print cards, to knit and crochet some accessories and to sew some straight forward items of clothing? The reason for wanting to do this is 1) that I really like making things these days (and was oh so pleased when a sewing machine joined me in my efforts for my birthday) and 2) that I just really like the idea of actually spending a considerable amount of time on each present (from deciding what they might need, to choosing the pattern and the fabric/yarn to actually making it over hours and hours), to me, there's just something very loving about this process.

I thought that when I can, I could document my process on here a little bit (which is why I would kindly ask and friends or family members reading this who expect a present, to stop reading until after Christmas). It would be incredible if anyone else wanted to let me know any ideas/tips that they might have too :).

I spoke about how I write down ideas for presents in Wunderlist yesterday and I'm pleased to say that I've already found quite a few things that I think would be cool to make for some of my nearest and dearest, so I thought today I'd just share some of my ideas.

For someone who easily gets cold - a cosy blanket to keep them warm
♥ Quick Crochet Blanket or
♥ Eleventh Hour Blanket or
♥ A Triangle Quilt

For someone who likes to brighten up an outfit with a fun accessory - a clutch to hold their essentials
♥ (Most likely fake) Leather and Cotton Clutch Purse
♥ Contemporary Clutch (I'm planning on getting the book with the patterns soon)

... or a different pattern cowl.
♥ Patricia Infinity Cowl

For someone who likes to keep warm on the go - cosy wrist warmers
♥ Crochet Fingerless Mittens (also from that book

For someone who likes Netflix evenings/days as much as I do - some comfortable pyjama bottoms
♥ Easy Women's Boxers (I've nearly finished making one pair of these for myself; I'm missing the elastic band, so right now, they are HUGE, but I think I will like them)
♥ Margot Pyjama Bottoms (I've got the book and I've actually made these before as well, and they are SO.COSY, see here for photographic evidence)

The main thing that's keeping me from getting started right now is deciding where to get my materials from and if you have suggestions, I would love to hear them. For the wooly items, I'm looking for chunky to super chunky yarn from a responsible manufacturer (if at all possible, from the UK and vaguely affordable). For the sewing ones, I'm looking for (ideally) organic fabric (again, preferably for under 10 pounds a meter).

Are you planning to make any presents yet this year? I'd love to hear about it. I hope you have a great start to the week tomorrow.

Love,

Johanna

P.S. I'm not sure what of these things to make yet, these are just ideas. If I find the wool though, I'm definitely planning to make (at least) one blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment