Two (Non-Fiction) Favourite Books

Tuesday, 26 January 2016

I really didn't know how to categorise these books. I wanted to make sure it came across that they're not 'read in bed, nice stories' books (which made me think 'non-pleasure reads'), but also didn't come across like they're really dull (not so much 'non-pleasure reads'), so I stuck with non-fiction, which I'm not particularly happy with, but I guess it's fairly unimportant, you know in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway, these are two books (of completely different nature) that I came across this January, and both of them are helping me to make little improvements to different aspects of my life, so I thought I'd share them with you.

a modern way to cook by Anna Jones, a.k.a the woman I want to kiss every time I try something new from her book
The first one is probably the best cookbook I have ever (!) come across. I have literally never made so many things from a cookbook within a couple of weeks of purchasing it. I have had a lot of books where I thought I would, but didn't, but that's another story. This book is amazing. In her introduction, she writes about how she got a lot of feedback about the really simple recipes in her last book, because they were actually so easy to make on a week night, so this book, bar a couple of recipes, focuses on all these great little ideas for what you could make, when you get home tired, don't want to spend 3 years in the kitchen, but want something that's really, really delicious. My favourite bit about this book is probably that alongside full-blown recipes, there's a lot of 'semi-recipes' that are more ideas for what to throw together (which is how I cook most of the time anyway) for example her favourite omelette fillings, nice little quick veg dishes, or lunchbox combinations. Oh and just because it's not clear from the title or from my ramblings: it's a vegetarian cookbook, but I like that it doesn't say this in the title, it's great recipes full stop, not just great vegetarian recipes.

If you do have it/get it, here's some of my favourite recipes from the book:
- the Lentil Ragu is totally delicious
- the first Sandwich topping suggestion (though done with Spinach instead of Kale)
- the dark chocolate goodness cookies

It really is so good. I'm literally basing 90% of my non-breakfast meals on this (when making the food myself) right now.

small move, big change by Caroline Arnold
I came across this one through some article about how to find the good 'self-help' books among the many s*** ones. Self-help books tend to get a bit of a bad rep (probably because of all the bad ones), and anyway, I wouldn't classify this one so much as a self-help book as a self-improvement book, it's also definitely a classic January - wanting to better yourself book, but who cares. This book is all about how when we want something to change, we want to change everything about that aspect of our lives straight away. We want to loose 3 stone? Well from tomorrow onwards we're going to hit the gym every single day for at least 90 minutes. And as well all know that doesn't really work and by doing this, we set ourselves up for failure. I don't even really want to go into the details of the book too much, but it's basically about making ourselves very accountable for very small changes to our daily/weekly/monthly/whatever routine and over time those big changes will come. This book rang so true to me, because even whilst reading this book (where it's always stressed to not change everything at once), reading all the great changes people achieved, I still thought all the time that I want to change all of those things, and how I'm going to make all those changes tomorrow and having to stop myself. I haven't actually started anything yet, but I just felt the need to share this book with you right now :) This book is full of great ideas about just how to make these little behavioural implementations and how to make them stick with many, many fantastic examples.

Do you have either of these books? I'd love to hear what you think. Also: any other recommendations are of course also very much welcome :)

Have a lovely day.

No comments:

Post a Comment