Dressmaking Weekend at Sew Over It

Sunday, 29 May 2016


As I may or may not have told you, my lovely mum got me a sewing machine for my birthday last year, which I was (and am) so excited about, I've completely fallen in love with sewing; it's something I can become completely immersed in for hours and hours at a time, which is really nice in a world where everything is so distracting (social media, I'm looking at you!).

When I first started, I got the wonderful Tilly and the Buttons' book 'Love at First Stitch: Demystifying Dressmaking'; it was a really good introduction, and I was so pleased, when I managed to make my first wearable clothes item from it, i.e. the margot pyjamas, which I've already made again and no doubt will be making again and again (and again). 

Anyway, I'd been wanting to do a sewing course for a really long time, because I thought it'd be really useful for someone to properly teach me the foundations for clothes that I'd actually dare to wear out the house, so when I saw that the dressmaking weekend was 20% off at some point, I knew I had to book myself onto the course. 



As you might get from the name, the course consisted of two days, each of which was dedicated to an item of clothing; on the Saturday we learnt how to make a full circle skirt, and on Sunday, the ultimate shift dress. The patterns were provided, we were in charge of finding fabric we liked. For the dress I chose a very summery liberty fabric, which I love, but am now thinking might be a little wild. 


I'm pleased to tell you that the course was really fun and incredibly useful. Our teacher Julie is really experienced, a great teacher and a lovely person all round. There was plenty of tea and cake (essential for good sewing I think) and a fun playlist in the background. We learnt everything from taking proper measurements, to adjusting the pattern to them, to putting zips in and waistbands on. I was really chuffed with the skirt and the dress I made - it just feels so fun to wear something that you've made! I don't have a very good photo of the skirt, but here's a fun little, twirling video :). 

Julie's advice to us was to make a couple fo full circle skirts, and a couple of ultimate shift dresses before moving on to more difficult dresses, but I'm already dreaming of moving onto the Betty dress. However, in an attempt to be patient (and because I do really like the two patterns we learnt), I made another ultimate shift dress yesterday, am planning to make one with long sleeves in the near future and am dreaming of numerous fabric variations for about five more full circle skirts, so we're all golden. 

If you're interested in doing one of the Sew Over It courses, I believe you get 10% off your next one when you sign up to their mailing list (and it looks like the intro to dressmaking and the dressmaking weekend are still 20% off?). Like I said, I can only recommend their courses, both to learn very useful techniques AND to have a very fun day/weekend. You can see a list of all the classes they do here

Talking about classes and deals etc, I've also bought Tilly and the Buttons' 'Learn to Sew Jersey Tops' online course which includes her beautiful Agnes Top pattern (which Lisa from Sew Over It reviewed here). On a day to day basis, I think most things I wear are jersey, so I think learning to sew with it is essential if I a bigger part of my wardrobe is to be made up of me-made stuff. The reason I got it now (as opposed to waiting until I've made all those shift dresses and full circle skirts I'm planning to make) is that there's a 30% off offer that ends today! So if you're interested, I recommend you head over now :), the code is SEWCOMFY. 

Right I'm off to look at dreamy fabrics (and maybe, just maybe do some uni work too). I hope you're having a lovely bank holiday weekend. 

P.S. Anyone else loving the Great British Sewing Bee? 

No comments:

Post a Comment